Why the Name?

So why did I choose the name Black By Color Only? On October 16, 1995 (my 27th birthday), a historical event took place known as "The Million Man March", led by the so-called minister Louis Farrakhan. The black community, for the most part, was moved with pride at the event. I, however, was unimpressed at the event, being that I like being an individual who doesn't like to cater to the collective thought of a race of individuals. Anyway, some time afterwards, I read an editorial in the local paper praising the recent event, so I decided to respond and give my point of view of the MMM. A few days later, my article appeared in the editorial and, a few more days later, a couple of people responded. One of them lamented that I said I was black--apparently by color only. It was then that I was struck by inspiration. What if I had some kind of program or forum, or whatever, titled Black By Color Only? That would be--how should I say it--cool! It has taken a while, but the inspiration has now materialized into this blog. Hopefully, in the future, it could materialize into something bigger.

Just to let you know a little about me:

I am a firm believer in the Bible and the deity of Jesus Christ.

Although I don't consider myself Republican or Democrat, I tend to favor a conservative point of view.

I believe this country should be run according to our Constitution.

I favor the Fair Tax in which the current tax code (and the IRS) will be eliminated and replaced by a consumer based tax.

I don't vote in favor of my wallet but in favor of morals and principles.

Just because I'm black doesn't mean I hold to the point of view of mainstream black America.

I believe racism is as big a problem in the black community as it is in the white community, and maybe more so.

The above statements get me in trouble with my fellow black "bruthas" who believe I should think like them. They proceed to call me a white lover, an Uncle Tom, and a sellout. Hey, when you throw a brick into a pack of dogs, the one you hit is the one that yelps the loudest.

I hope that you will get something meaningful from this blog. If you want to get even more about what I believe in, tune in to blogtalkradio.com/blackbycoloronly to hear my online radio program. I hope you have a good time visiting and I hope to see you on the rebound.


About The Owner

My photo
Durham, North Carolina, United States

Saturday, May 23, 2009

Show Some Respect

This message is mostly for the Democratic/liberal supporters out there (although there are some Republican/conservative supporters who need to take heed as well). In this past election, many of us cast our vote for the candidate we believed would best serve this country. Things were said, debates ensued, and whatever. That said, I would like to address an issue that is common among liberal Democrats: the disrespect they all have for people who don't think like them. Instead of listening to the points the other side tries to present, liberals are just downright mean to those who don't share their point of view. They like to cut people off before they get a chance to explain their side, or insult and hurl character assassinations at their "misinformed" opponents. Moreover, don't be a black brother who votes for a Republican! Oh, man, you're going to get an earful! "You're trying to be white" is a common phrase that is hurled insultingly at any brother that goes against the consensus. On my job last year, I saw this disrespect in full bloom. In our breakroom, we have a TV and it was tuned to the Republican National Convention (as it had been the previous week during the Democratic National Convention). Myself and an elderly co-worker of mine were watching and giving our comments about the different speakers. All of a sudden, another co-worker-who had been declaring her hate for Bush and his fellow Repubs-gets up and is rudely about to change the channel when I stopped her verbally. Being displeased, she very hatefully expressed her displeasure. "You don't need to be watching that", she retorted. "You need to be watching Barack Obama!" She heads back to her seat constantly berating me. When she gets there I could hear her companions saying under their breath, "He voted for Bush", to which she declares, rather loudly, "Oh, that's what's wrong with him!" She continued her rude montage until I had to finally tell her to be quiet several times.This is just an example of the rudeness, insults, and character assassinations I have endured over the years from liberal Democrats. Let's get something straight-I am a Christian, first, and an American citizen, second. I am neither Democrat or Republican. I vote for whoever I doggone please based on who I think can run this country the best. I have been called a Republican because that is who I tend to vote for the most. Yes, I voted for Bush, TWICE [gasp!]. If he were able to run again, I would vote for him again. No, Bush wasn't perfect and I didn't agree with him on everything. However, to hear the Democratic supporters, one would think they have a monopoly on the national intellect. They are rarely open-minded and they sneer at every viewpoint that opposes theirs. They would rather engage in a shouting match instead of intelligent conversation. They love to hammer their point home without listening to a different viewpoint. Even when the truth about a situation is revealed they still want to hold to their opinionated views. To berate a person because of their choice for presidential candidate is as un-American as one can get. No, I'm not saying we shouldn't debate the issues or have differing viewpoints but a person should not be ridiculed because of his/her choice and the liberals have a knack for this. Moreover, if you are black and conservative/Republican you are viewed as the worst kind of person among your black peers. You are uninformed, an Uncle Tom, trying to be white, and on, and on, and on; and to make matters worse, for the first time in history, a black man is sitting the White House so, if you're black and you don't agree with him, you are scum, a Benedict Arnold, and a Judas. You have lost touch with your race. So let me get it out now: I am glad we have gotten to a point in this nation where a black man can become president. However, I didn't for Barack Obama because I can see past his skin color and view his principles and that is what I consider when I vote: principles and morals. If you voted for him, good for you. I won't beat you over the head for your choice. You are an American citizen and can vote for whoever you like. However, I hope the respect I give you is reciprocated. Liberals (especially the black population), please abstain from the negative comments, insults, and character assassinations and let us walk together as Americans.

No comments: