Why the Name?

So why did I choose the name Black By Color Only? On October 16, 1995 (my 27th birthday), a historical event took place known as "The Million Man March", led by the so-called minister Louis Farrakhan. The black community, for the most part, was moved with pride at the event. I, however, was unimpressed at the event, being that I like being an individual who doesn't like to cater to the collective thought of a race of individuals. Anyway, some time afterwards, I read an editorial in the local paper praising the recent event, so I decided to respond and give my point of view of the MMM. A few days later, my article appeared in the editorial and, a few more days later, a couple of people responded. One of them lamented that I said I was black--apparently by color only. It was then that I was struck by inspiration. What if I had some kind of program or forum, or whatever, titled Black By Color Only? That would be--how should I say it--cool! It has taken a while, but the inspiration has now materialized into this blog. Hopefully, in the future, it could materialize into something bigger.

Just to let you know a little about me:

I am a firm believer in the Bible and the deity of Jesus Christ.

Although I don't consider myself Republican or Democrat, I tend to favor a conservative point of view.

I believe this country should be run according to our Constitution.

I favor the Fair Tax in which the current tax code (and the IRS) will be eliminated and replaced by a consumer based tax.

I don't vote in favor of my wallet but in favor of morals and principles.

Just because I'm black doesn't mean I hold to the point of view of mainstream black America.

I believe racism is as big a problem in the black community as it is in the white community, and maybe more so.

The above statements get me in trouble with my fellow black "bruthas" who believe I should think like them. They proceed to call me a white lover, an Uncle Tom, and a sellout. Hey, when you throw a brick into a pack of dogs, the one you hit is the one that yelps the loudest.

I hope that you will get something meaningful from this blog. If you want to get even more about what I believe in, tune in to blogtalkradio.com/blackbycoloronly to hear my online radio program. I hope you have a good time visiting and I hope to see you on the rebound.


About The Owner

My photo
Durham, North Carolina, United States

Sunday, May 17, 2009

Role Models?

Lately, the sports world has been rocked by Alex Rodriguez's admission that he used steroids a few years back. Personally, I think it's noble that A-Rod fessed-up immediately and offered many apologies for his actions. Of course, I don't condone steroid use and I am glad someone had the guts to admit his faults (paging, Mister Bonds! Paging, Mister Barry Bonds!). Someone asked A-Rod what would he say to the parents who were angered by his actions and he simply said "I'm sorry". Of course, when a major sports figure is caught in a scandal, in one way or another, we start to hear the word "role model". Those two words caused a big to-do in the 90's when Charles Barkley declared "I am not a role model." The group of people that showed their ire more than anyone were parents. Parents were upset at Sir Charles words because they believed Mr. Barkley was hurting their children's self-esteem. Well, I'm not a fan of Mr. Barkley; I tend to criticize him for his actions during his career in the NBA (wipe that spit off that little girl!). However, I have to say this: Mr. Barkley is right.

What is a role-model? I am a Sunday School teacher in a church from Durham, NC, and from time to time I try a little experiment with the kids. I ask them "How many of you know Michael Jordan"? You should see the hands go up. So I pick one of them and call him to the front of the class. Then I say "So you know Michael Jordan"? The usual nod. Then I ask "Where does he live?" or "What does he drive?" or "What does he like to eat?" Most of the time, my subject doesn't know the answer which means he really doesn't know MJ. My point? A role model can only be someone we know personally, i.e. our parents. Don't get me wrong, I do believe sports stars should be showing a good example by displaying good sportsmanship and the like. However, these stars don't know most of their fans, so they cannot be role models--that's the role of the parents. So it really befuddles me when parents get mad because some sport's star-or any star, for that matter--makes a public display they don't improve of. Then they accuse the subject for damaging their children's lives by making a fool of themselves publicly, never realizing the fault rests on the parents. It almost seems as if the parents just give over their parental rights to other public figures and if they screw up, then they'll step in and be parents. Parents are in the household for a reason: to guide their children in what is right or wrong. Children are going to be exposed to a myriad of situations as they grow up. As parents (I'm not one, yet, but I'll be one soon, hopefully) we are to guide our children through life's situations. So, if we see someone acting unseemly, it is our responsibility to tell our children it isn't right to act in such a manner. So parents, YOU are your children's role models. Charles Barkley is a role model only to his children or whoever is under his care. This is a main reason there should be both a mother and a father in the household (we'll touch on that later). So parents stop passing the buck, step up to the plate, and be the role models that God has called you to be.

No comments: